Skip to main content

The Wounded Shadow by Patrick W Carr (the Darkwater Saga)

I did receive this book at no charge for my unbiased, honest opinion.

Let me start by saying this is part of a series, which I did not realize when I ordered the book. However, even though this is part of a series, it was easily read even without the context of the other books in the series. It is definitely a story in the same fantasy genre as LOTR, Narnia, or Harry Potter. Very well written with great detail, it easily allows you to imagine the journey on which the characters embark.


There are only 2 real complaints I have: 1] that the story line jumped around a bit; I feel like the author could have made it a bit easier to realize when the story jumps to another character's leg of the journey as it was a little hard to follow from one jump in the story at times. And 2] while the story isn't numbered or if (like me) you miss the small note in the upper corner of the cover indicating that it is part of a series, as  the reader, you have no idea there are books before it; this could easily be the editor/publisher that didn't see the need for a list of books in the series or to better display that it is in fact part of a series more prominently, BUT I always feel it is important to include a list of all books in the series that way the reader understands that some aspects of the story that were not explained in this book may have been explained in a previous book, along
with affording the reader the opportunity to read the prequels to that book in order BEFORE undertaking the new book.


Again, while it is a huge pet peeve of mine to read books in a series out of order, in this case, it posed no great issues. The story was EXTREMELY well written. It got its hooks in early on and the intrigue of figuring out the mission and how different aspects of the characters' journeys would affect the outcome of the mission was enthralling! I greatly enjoyed this book. The characters were relatable and complex. The story line kept you guessing. And considering that 99% of the books I've read are pretty formulaic and I can tell you the ending after reading the first couple of chapters, this one was not in that same group.


I don't want to give any spoilers away as I truly feel this should be read rather than have my feeble attempt to retell it  would never be able to come even remotely close to doing it justice. My best advice: even if your primary love is not fantasy, still give this one a try.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After the Shadows by Amanda Cabot

Disclaimer: Please note, I did receive this book from the publisher at no charge for my unbiased, honest opinion.  When I read the publisher's synopsis of this book, I selected it on a whim. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy reading it, but I decided to select it anyway. Even after the first chapter, I was unsure if I would be able to finish it. However, the more I read, the more the story developed into a book I absolutely loved!  It had elements that provoked surprise, compassion, frustration, and so many other emotions. It was a good example to show how everyone deals with grief and life's obstacles differently. Further, it is a good example of how a small, southern town in America really is: how isolating it can be; how important family and reputation can be in these areas. Neighbors really take care of each other (depending on who you are) or they may completely ignore you. If your reputation is tarnished they will ostracize and abandon you.  Between hoping Emily is able

12 Faithful Men by Collin Hansen and Jeff Robinson

I did receive this book at no charge from the publisher for my unbiased, honest opinion. Disclaimer: I am not this books target audience. The target audience for this book is specifically for pastors, deacons, or other (mostly male) heads of the church. Here after all heads of the church will be grouped together under the term Preacher. The book boils down to one main premise: that all preachers who are truly called to be servants of God as preachers tend to have a somewhat tragic life in some form or fashion. All of the biblical scriptures and each of the ’12 Faithful Men’ mentioned are examples to back this belief. He gives examples of how even in biblical times, the Apostle Paul had to experience tragedy, and how in many of Paul's letters, he mentions that to truly be a good teacher of God’s word then you would need to go through many tragedies not only to test your faithfulness but to be a better preacher. Paul (and thus the author) further explains that through

The Aging Brain by Dr. Timothy R. Jennings, MD

I did receive this book at no charge from the publisher for my unbiased, honest opinion. Dr. Jennings addresses Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease that are plaguing our elderly in ever increasing rates. He discusses how we might live longer and more healthily if we address our lifestyles and choices. He explains how stress and poor diet, among other things, exacerbate the issues old age presents and how these same habits, stress and diet and others, lead to a higher chance of developing dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, especially for those when a predisposition for either ailment. He further explains steps you can do to help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease from developing. I felt that although he is only reiterating many of the same things uttered by many in the medical community, he further backed up his standpoint with well laid reasons and breaks down everything so that it is easy to understand. I, too, have a history of Alzheimer’s disease in my family, and I f